Can’t get pregnant? Keep trying!

Women who have struggled unsuccessfully to conceive for over 1 year still have a good chance at getting pregnant, a new study suggests. As part of a long-term Australian study, 1,400 women age 28 to 36 were followed after reporting they’d tried unsuccessfully to conceive for at least a year.

Interestingly, 44% of the women who struggled with conception and did not receive fertility treatment eventually became pregnant.  That’s pretty close to the 55% who pursued fertility treatments and subsequently became pregnant.

These data suggest that perhaps these couples are dealing with sub-fertility rather than infertility.

Danielle Herbert, a researcher involved in the study commented that “Many women aged up to 36 years with a history of infertility can achieve spontaneous conception and live birth without using fertility treatment indicating they are sub-fertile rather than infertile.”

These data are not surprising to many fertility experts.

Dr. Courtney Lynch, head of reproductive epidemiology at The Ohio State University in Columbus, states that IVF is generally pursued as a method to speed-up time to conception.

It may be worthwhile for 20-somethings with sub-fertility to wait a little longer before they seek fertility treatments.  However, for women in their late 30s, another year is a long time to wait to conceive.

Experts caution that even if you are planning to wait to pursue fertility treatments, couples who have struggled for more than a year to conceive should have a complete fertility evaluation.

An exam can determine if there are any obvious causes of infertility such as low sperm count or blocked tubes.

tagged

Comment on this post to become an Essential Beginnings tester! get the details  →

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

31 Responses to Can’t get pregnant? Keep trying!

1. missy juhasz says:

hard not to give up when u just turned 40

2. krystal robinson says:

Ladies I am 33 years old and I was diagnosed with PCOS 8 years ago. Here I was married to the man of my dreams for almost five years who happened to be a single father of two wonderful boys and I felt alone and empty. I loved my stepchildren but every time I looked at them I was reminded of my inability to conceive. Within the first two years of being diagnosed I had two miscarriages back to back. I went into a deep depression and thought that I had given up all hope to have the baby of my dreams. this put an awful strain on my marriage and we almost didn’t make it through. But ladies I am here to tell you that I have now conceived four times naturally. In 2008 I gave birth to a gorgeous son that the lord blessed our family with after 10 years. At 33 I am now 12 weeks pregnant and thanking god everyday…
    Ladies please do not give up!
    Here’s to all the blessings that god has in store for us!

3. Brittany says:

I have been trying for 8 years, I really wish there was something I could try naturally that would help.

4. Maleah says:

I was suffering from fertility problems. It took me a year to concieve. I was finally able to with treatment.

5. Melissa says:

I have Pcos and have trouble getting pregnant. My doctor has me on provera for 12 days and then femara on days 3 thru 7 of my cycle. I hope it works and i get pregnant with my first child. I am also not obese and do not fit the normal criteria for someone with pcos.

6. Jess says:

Great so maybe there’s hope (:

7. Michelle says:

We have been trying for about 6 months and it is frustrating. My doctor is going to evaluate our fertility now rather than wait the full year so it is really up to what your doctor thinks is best for you.

8. kendra says:

i am trying to get pregnant and having trouble and dont know what to do

9. Sara Marshall says:

We have been trying for a few years now with no luck. I have a six year old son who wants a younger sibling. Would love to try these. thanks

10. Jessica says:

Yes! Keep trying. There are many outlets available in this country and around the world to have a bundle of joy. I say don’t stop trying on your own until you have completely exhausted any possibility of it. Then look elsewhere for help and information.

11. Crystal Bess says:

trying is the fun part

12. wendy garcia says:

I think diet, exercise, stress level, hormones…..especially ones taken before attemping pregnancy all play a big part of infertility. Hormones were freely given out years ago to females experiencing PMS, now risks outweigh benefits.

13. Erin Yu says:

if its getting too old, we might have to consider not to pregnant because it is not good though

14. deanna henry says:

it is hard sometimes to get pregnant as it was for me. my strenght came from my husband who always told me we would have a family we just had to keep the faith. these sites like this one i feel are great for couples especailly who have questions. keep up the great work your doing

15. tia says:

you’re right and I love this article because it did take quite a while I waited and I tried for a whole year and I still did not get pregnant but then I got pregnant later on love the way you have use perspectives on this because your actually right

16. Stephanie says:

This is so great. I have a friend who has been having trouble with getting pregnant. I will have to tell her about this article!!

17. christen Francis says:

Hey this is a really big issue for me me and my Hubby have been trying for months and it has not happened yet I am getting really confused and depressed because of this and I reall want a Baby I hope yall can help us(:

18. cathy says:

i didnt have trouble getting pregnant mine was staying pregnant. after two miscarriages and finding a great doctor it turned out i just needed a higher dose of folic acid. so sometimes it is so simple but seems like a hard road to get there.

19. Maranda says:

I’ve been struggling with fertility issues. We’ve been trying for about a year and a half. I’m afraid to go to a specialist for fear that I’ll have a problem. It’s nice to know there is still hope.

20. Kaitlin Marie says:

i am engaged to the most amazing man ever, who has twin 5 year old boys!!! we have been trying to concive for about 2 years.. and every month i get so down on myslef cause i want nothing more than to be a mom myslef.

we just took a test earlyer this week and it was slightly positive!!! my fingers are crossed!!!!!!

21. Lauren says:

After 8 years I still have not been able to get pregnant. Tried IUI still nothing. Wish there were more options out there.

22. Emily says:

I got pregnant really easy the first two times and wasn’t even trying. Then a few years later we decided we wanted another one and couldn’t get pregnant. After a year I finally got preg and miscarried. It took almOst another year to get pregnant again.

23. Jessica says:

Maybe there is hope then =)

24. becky says:

My fiance and I have been trying for three. Years. I don’t want to. Have to go through all the treatments

25. heedah says:

Should I try birthcontrol

26. Lola Dotch says:

I’ve read an article because of an interest to this field. I tryed to become pregnant several times.Unfortunately didn’t get a result! But I have hope in my heart! I think this article can change women’s mind about their problem. Just don’t give up!

27. CHARITY says:

I’m only 23, but I’ve been married and TRYING for over 3 years now…I’ve been tested for everything, and it’s not my husband either…It’s really discouraging when EVERY ONE OF MY FRIENDS are either pregnant or on their 2nd & 3rd child. I’ve always wanted children, and I get VERY emotional around one. It bugs me when I hear “teenagers” only trying once, and get pregnant, and want an abortion! :( It breaks my heart, because the ones that REALLY WANT ONE CANNOT…

28. nicole says:

I think that if one has their heart on having a child should definately keep trying, consider all options even fertility treament.

29. Gabriela M Sanchez says:

WoW.. this is soo relieving to read articles like this. I had an ectopic pregnancy in Januarary 2011. I have a 4 year old son. I got one fallopian tube removed due to the ectopic pregnancy and 3 months later after the ectopic pregnancy we have been trying to conceive with no success. I did get my check up with my gynecologist 3 times already and I was adviced that I was fine and could keep trying. I would like to receive a sample of your products to try them out. We are more than ready for our last child. Hope to get good news. I appreciate for this information posted as well. Thank you.

30. farrah says:

Never heard of sub-fertility before this article
    interesting concept tho.

31. Sravanthi Chilukuri says:

Hi,
    I’m 29 and have been married for 4 years. I’ve been trying to conceive from the past 3 years with out any success. We were diagnosed several times by different doctors and found completely healthy. We are willing to go great lengths to be blessed with an offspring. We have been trying several medicines, following diets etc etc. We just hope that our wishes will come true one day, but worried that i’m crossing 30 in few months and i knew chances becomes dim with growing age. We tried many, why not yours? We’ll try your essentials beginnings and lets see what happens.