Is your thyroid making you infertile?

An often overlooked cause of infertility can be thyroid issues. The thyroid gland is responsible for secreting thyroid hormone, which is a master regulator of metabolism.

Too much thyroid hormone (hyperthyroid) or too little thyroid hormone (hypothyroid) can significantly affect a number of metabolic processes, including sex steroid hormone synthesis.

Hyperthyroid symptoms include weight loss, trouble sleeping, mood swings, feeling nervous and irritable, rapid and irregular heartbeat, and feeling hot.

Hypothyroid symptoms are often the opposite and include trouble losing weight, easy weight gain, feeling sluggish and depressed, constipation, and feeling cold.

A common symptom of both hyper and hypothyroidism is irregular menstrual cycles.

The causes of either of these thyroid abnormalities can result from inadequate dietary iodine, including too much or too little iodine.  Genetic and lifestyle factors may also affect thyroid function.

You doctor can test thyroid function by measuring serum thyroid hormone and thyroid-stimulating hormone.

If you think you have any of these symptoms, let your doctor know.

Women with thyroid issues may have more trouble conceiving and maintaining a pregnancy, but proper monitoring by a physician can help overcome these problems.

tagged

Comment on this post to become an Essential Beginnings tester! get the details  →

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

19 Responses to Is your thyroid making you infertile?

1. spurnky says:

What a great article! I had no idea that the thyroid could affect fertility that much. I was diagnosed as Hyperthyroid. I have also been told that I am infertile. I always assumed it was due to having to having PCOS. It sounds like my Thyroid could be affecting my fertility also. Thanks for the article!

2. Jessica Markley says:

I didnt know that your thyroid could affect your ability to become pregnant.I have a cyst on my thyroid & I possibly have hypothyroidism & I’m 7 months pregnant right now.

3. Susan Davis says:

This is very interesting. I had no idea the thyroid could cause problems getting pregnant. I also didn’t know all the symptoms of thyroid problems. This has been very insightful. Thank you for the information. I am gonna have my doctor test my thyroid on the next visit as I have a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroid problems.

4. Trisha Blair says:

I take a thyroid pill every day for hypothyroidism.

5. Govanna says:

I was told today that my thyroid looks enlarged and I have to be tested tomorrow, I hope this isnt an issue for fertility.

6. Wai Man Lam says:

After reading this article, I realize why I’ve been having problem getting pregnant the last few years. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I am currently taking medicine for hypothyroidism, does that mean I can get pregnancy easily now?

7. Nakia Wallace says:

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer about ten years ago and got pregnant while I was going through radiation treatments. I am pregnant now also. My thyroid has never really been under control. My thyroid replacement medication is always changing, so there is always hope.

8. kimberlee mills says:

Good info, thanks

9. h r says:

the problem with thyroid is that sometimes it’s an uncontrolled problem and it also makes some people gain weight and that too can lead to have problems being able to get pregnant.

10. amie says:

I didn’t know it affected hormones that much. I too have Pecos and thyroid is rarely checked by des but when. Is comes back normal..hmm maybe should do more reasearch!
    Thanks!

11. Tabitha says:

I didn’t know some of these symptoms were associated with the thyroid. Might bring it up at my next appointment.

12. paula says:

I think this is interesting, I’ve had a thyroid problem all my life and it took me 4ever to get pregnant! This explains things to me. Thank you

13. Rachel says:

I’ve thought I was having problems with Hypothyroidism, but thought I could deal with. After reading this article and learning that could be a big issue in why my husband and I haven’t been able to conceive in 3 years, I’m making a Dr. appt in the morning to get tested.

14. Shari Stremme says:

I have thyroid problems, for years. I would have never guessed that infertility is also caused by this. Just proves that the list goes on and on for thyroid problems. I also did not know your product can help .

15. Roisheka Finkley says:

I was wondering if this could be a problem for me because I have an enlarged thyriod.

16. KIMBERLY ROBERSON says:

I found the article to be very interesting as I am a fertility patient myself.

17. kelly abramson says:

Very informative article and hopefully will provide some answers for those dealing with fertility issues.

18. Amanda R says:

Thank you for this article. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and along with the effects of this it has cause my menstrual cycle to be messed up which has caused a very hard time to get pregnant.

19. Neek says:

I had no idea my thyroid issues could be also the reason I cannot conceive :(
    I really wish my doctor had let me know this earlier. Wanting a child and not being able to have one is very sad.