Fertility expert Dr. Marilyn Glenville, PhD answers some common questions regarding male infertility. Here are some highlights from the interview:
- Groin exposure to heat can lead to male infertility. Professional drivers and men exposed to intense heat because of their profession have lower sperm counts and higher numbers of abnormal sperm.
- Caffeine can affect fertility. Men who are trying to conceive should avoid tea, coffee, colas, and energy drinks that contain large amounts of caffeine.
- Frequent masturbation can decrease fertility. Depending on the frequency, excess masturbation can deplete semen quantity.
- Lifestyle and diet changes can promote fertility. Dietary supplementation of zinc, folic acid, vitamin C, and selenium can increase sperm count.
- Reduce stress to boost fertility. Stress can lower fertility and sex drive, making it difficult to conceive.
- Smoking decreases fertility. Smoking can cause sperm DNA damage and decreased sperm count.
- Supplements can help promote fertility. Antioxidants, Omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D, Co-enzyme Q10 and the amino acids arginine and carnitine can help promote fertility.
- See a fertility specialist for individualized help. If you’ve been diagnosed with infertility, seek expert help to correctly diagnose and treat the problem.
Check out the original article for more information on male infertility.